Erik Luthens

Federal Government Employees

Generally, state workers’ compensation laws do not apply to federal government employees. Federal government employees have their own system that will compensate employees who are injured at work or on the job. Contact a Iowa work injury and accident attorney representing clients in Marshalltown, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation.

The Federal Employee’s Compensation Act, or FECA, governs the workers’ compensation benefits that federal government employees can receive. Under this act, a federal government employee is eligible for benefits when that employee is disabled or killed as a result of an injury that is “sustained while in the performance of duty.”

Other classes of employees, even though they aren’t employed by the federal government, may also be covered by federal workers’ compensation laws specific to their industry. For example, the Federal Employer’s Liability Act provides compensation for employees, such as railroad workers, who are injured while engaged in interstate transportation. The Jones Act provides benefits for seamen injured at work and the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act provides similar benefits to longshoremen and others who are engaged in maritime activities on navigable waters. There are other laws that cover the workers’ compensation benefits for certain employees. Some of these laws include the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, the Death on the High Seas Act, and the Defense Base Act.

Whether your workers’ compensation benefits fall under FECA or another federal law depends on the type of work you do and your particular situation. You should contact an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer who can help you obtain the maximum benefits under the laws that govern your employer.

Des Moines work comp injury lawyer, attorney Marshalltown, IA, workers' compensation law firm - If you would like to schedule a initial consultation regarding your case, please contact the Luthens Law Offices at (800) 685-7948 or complete our inquiry form.